Starting conversations with new people is often a challenge because you don’t know what interests them and their limits. Whether you’re dealing with a new co-worker or a potential lover, you need some great conversation starters to help you get to know them better.
This article offers you the 338 most effective getting-to-know-you questions that will help you break the ice and keep the conversation going with whoever you encounter in your life.
338 Getting-to-Know-You Questions
Getting-to-know-you questions are a fun way to get to know someone new better without making them feel uncomfortable with questions that are too personal. You can play this game with one or more people depending on the setting. Both of you will take turns asking each other questions with the hope of getting to know each other better. Here are some of the most effective getting-to-know-you questions.
Fun Getting-to-Know-You Questions
1. What is the most ridiculous nightmare you have ever had?
2. What’s the most embarrassing story can you tell me?
3. What inside joke have you ever had with a friend or family member?
4. Can you tell me your life story in exactly one sentence?
5. What is your favorite random fact?
6. What is your useless talent?
7. What is the strangest food combination you enjoy?
8. What would your drag queen’s name be?
9. If you could choose one superpower, what would it be?
10. What is the strangest coincidence that ever happened to you?
11. What is your strangest irrational fear?
12. Can you describe your oddest family member?
13. Have you ever met a celebrity?
14. What is the dumbest way you hurt yourself?
15. Which celebrity would you like to meet?
16. What is the craziest thing you ever did on a date?
17. What is the worst outfit you ever wore?
18. What is the grossest thing you would do for $100?
19. What actor would you choose to play you in your biopic?
20. If your pet could talk, what do you think they might say about you?
21. What is your go-to karaoke song?
22. If you were a superhero, who would be your arch-nemesis?
23. What is your most random impulse buy?
24. What is the most awkward situation you ever found yourself in?
25. What would your warning label say?
26. What is your guilty pleasure?
27. What emoji do you use most often?
28. Does your family practice any unusual traditions?
29. A genie grants you the ability to have immeasurable amounts of one item, what would it be?
30. What is your favorite random fact?
31. What is your favorite joke?
32. What is the best Halloween costume you ever wore?
33. What is the most ludicrous thing you believed as a child?
34. Can you create and describe an undercover alias?
35. What is the most disgraceful lie you told a child?
36. How do you waste time most often?
37. What songs are on the soundtrack of your life?
38. What did you do as a teenager that makes you cringe now?
39. What is the worst advice you have ever received?
40. If you could speak to one deceased person for thirty seconds, who would it be and what would you say?
41. What is the best advice you have ever received?
42. If you could switch lives with any one person for one day, who would you choose?
43. What was the scariest moment in your life so far?
Deep Getting-to-Know-You Questions
44. If you could travel to the past and change one event, would you? Which one and why?
45. If you could change anything about the way your parents raised you, what would it be and why?
46. Is there something that you’ve dreamed of doing for a long time? Why haven’t you done it?
47. For what in your life do you feel most grateful?
48. If you knew that in one year you would die suddenly, would you change anything about the way you are now living? Why?
49. What is your definition of success?
50. How has your perspective on the world changed over time?
51. Do you believe that people can change?
52. What area of your life would you most like to improve?
53. Do you believe you will accomplish your dreams?
54. What is your biggest regret to date?
55. Whose death hit you hardest?
56. Do you believe in free will?
57. Do you believe in destiny?
58. If you could relive one moment in your life, which would it be?
59. What is your most cherished belief?
60. Where do you think we go when we die?
61. What do you think is the meaning of life?
Getting-to-Know-You Questions for Dating Couples
62. Do you have a significant other?
63. Do you have kids?
64. What do you think is your best quality?
65. What are your pet irritations?
66. What would constitute a “perfect” day for you?
67. What is your idea of a perfect date?
68. Can you name one celebrity crush, past or present?
69. When was the last time you cried in front of someone?
70. What is the first feature you tend to notice in a potential partner?
71. What are the most important qualities in potential partners?
72. What are the most important aspects of a relationship to you?
73. What is the worst date you’ve ever been on?
74. What is the best date you’ve ever been on?
75. Who would you prefer to set you up on a blind date: friends, family members, coworkers, professional dating services, or random strangers?
76. What are your dating deal breakers?
77. How do you prefer to resolve conflict?
78. What was your longest relationship?
79. How do you show people that you love them?
80. Do you believe in soul mates?
81. Where do you see yourself in ten years?
82. What is the most spontaneous thing you’ve ever done?
83. What do you wish more people understood about you?
84. What is your worst habit?
85. What is your favorite thing to share with other people?
86. What is one fact that few people know about you?
87. What is the best pickup line you know?
88. Have you ever dated a partner that your family or friends disliked? If not, would you ever?
89. Are you still friends with any of your exes?
90. On bad days, do you like others to cheer you up or leave you alone?
91. Where is your happy place?
92. Who do you live with?
93. Where did you grow up?
94. What is the best place you ever traveled to?
95. What do you think would most impress your five-year-old self? Your 15-year-old self?
96. What kind of elderly person do you hope to be?
97. What is your favorite website?
98. What is your favorite season?
99. What book changed your life?
100. How do you prefer to exercise?
101. What movie do you wish you could watch again for the first time?
102. What is one story you love to tell, but rarely get the chance to?
103. What is one question you wish people would ask you more?
104. What is one question you wish people would ask you less?
105. What is your favorite song?
106. What was the first concert you attended? The best concert?
107. What is your favorite quote?
108. What is the last book you read?
109. What is the last TV show you binged watched?
110. What movie could you quote by heart?
111. What do you dislike that everyone else seems to like?
112. What do you like that everyone else seems to dislike?
113. What makes you happiest?
114. Can you describe yourself in three words?
115. What is the best idea you have ever had for a business?
116. If given the opportunity, what book would you write?
117. What is the strangest food combination you enjoy?
118. What is your favorite kind of cuisine?
119. What is the best meal you have ever eaten?
120. If you won the lottery, what would you do first?
121. What is your favorite cocktail?
122. Do you have any tattoos? If not, are there any tattoos you want?
123. What are you allergic to?
Basic Getting-to-Know-You Questions
124. What is your favorite color?
125. What is your favorite animal?
126. Do you have any pets?
127. Do you have brothers or sisters?
128. How old are you?
129. When is your birthday?
130. What is the farthest you have traveled from home?
131. What is your favorite summer activity?
132. What is your favorite winter activity?
133. What is your favorite food?
134. If you could choose a new name, which one would it be?
135. Who is your favorite superhero?
136. Who is your favorite Disney character?
137. What is the best vacation you have ever taken?
138. What is the silliest thing you can imagine?
139. What are you afraid of?
140. What is your favorite snack?
141. What is your favorite story?
142. What is the bravest thing you ever did?
143. Who’s your best cartoon character?
144. If you could make one rule for everyone in the world to follow, what would it be?
145. If you could own any animal as a pet, what would you choose?
146. What is the coolest thing you ever made?
147. What is your favorite way to spend an afternoon?
148. What are you most excited about right now?
149. What is your favorite sport?
150. What is your favorite song?
151. Can you show me your best dance move?
152. What makes you awesome?
153. What is your favorite outfit?
154. If you could redesign your bedroom, what would you add?
155. What’s your favorite stuffed animal?
156. What is your favorite toy?
157. What is your favorite thing to do with your parents?
158. What are your hobbies?
159. Do you collect anything?
160. What are you passionate about?
161. What is your most prized possession?
162. What is the greatest accomplishment of your life?
163. What is on your bucket list?
164. What is your favorite recent memory?
165. What is your best childhood memory?
166. What is your favorite holiday?
167. Who knows you best?
168. What family member are you closest to?
169. What skill would you most like to learn?
170. Where is the coolest place you traveled to?
171. What does your average weekend look like?
172. What’s your longest-running friendship with someone?
173. What is your earliest memory?
174. What makes you unique?
175. Who is your hero?
176. Who is the smartest person you ever met?
177. What is one thing that instantly makes your day better?
178. When did you first feel like an adult?
179. Whose opinion do you care most about?
180. What is the most important decision you have ever made so far?
181. Aside from necessities, what one thing could you not go a day without?
182. What do you enjoy spending money on?
183. What is something that always makes you smile?
184. What are you most thankful for?
185. What are you most looking forward to?
186. What do you wish more people understand about you?
187. What is the greatest challenge or struggle you have ever faced?
188. What is the biggest risk you ever took?
Getting-to-Know-You Questions for Clubs and Groups
189. If you had magical powers, what would you create?
190. If you could be invisible, where would you hide?
191. If you could be mayor for a day, what would you change about our city?
192. If you could be a superhero, who would you be?
193. If you could invite one famous person to your birthday party, who would it be?
194. Would you rather be super strong or have super speed?
195. Would you rather be a tiger or an eagle?
196. Would you rather be a famous movie star or the president?
197. Would you rather ride in a spaceship or a hot air balloon?
198. Would you rather win a million dollars or live forever?
199. What is your favorite summer tradition?
200. What is your favorite part of the school day?
201. What is your favorite road trip snack?
202. What is your favorite bedtime book?
203. Pineapple pizza – yucky or yummy?
204. Asparagus – yucky or yummy?
205. Carrots and peanut butter – yucky or yummy?
206. Slime from the science lab – yucky or yummy?
207. Green jellybeans – yucky or yummy?
208. What is one thing about your family – like a certain tradition or meal – that makes it special?
209. Where is your favorite spot in your house?
210. How often do you visit your grandparents?
211. What is your favorite family vacation memory?
212. What was your favorite food when you were little?
213. What do you think is the most important quality of a best friend?
214. What is your favorite thing to do when you hang out with your friends?
215. How many years have you known your best friend?
216. What is one thing you and your closest friends have in common?
217. What is one quality you admire in your closest friends?
218. Would you rather stay up late or wake up early?
219. What is your least favorite chore at home?
220. What is your favorite thing to do on Saturdays?
221. Do you usually do your homework as soon as you get home from school or wait until much later?
222. What do you think is the hardest part about Mondays?
223. Movies or TV shows?
224. Salty or sweet snacks?
225. Writing on paper or typing?
226. Puppies or babies?
227. Cold or hot weather?
228. What if you could say one sentence to every person in the world and they would all listen? What would you tell them?
229. What if you had the ability to speak every language? What would you do with that skill?
230. What if you never had to sleep? What would you do with the time you would normally spend sleeping?
231. What if you could go back in time to a specific event? Where/when would you go and what would you do?
232. What if electricity had never been invented? How do you think your life would look now?
233. Social media – cool or totally not?
234. Listening to your parents’ favorite music – cool or totally not?
235. Watching Netflix until dawn – cool or totally not?
236. Homework during summer vacation – cool or totally not?
237. YouTube videos featuring cats – cool or totally not?
238. If only you were famous, what would you be famous for?
239. If only you had more leisure time, how would you spend it?
240. If only you won the lottery, what would be your most expensive purchase?
241. If only you were more athletic, what would be your Olympic sport?
242. If only you could be a master of any instrument, what would you play?
243. What is your dream car?
244. What is your dream vacation?
245. What is your dream job?
246. What is your dream splurge?
247. Where is your dream home?
248. What or who makes you laugh the most?
249. Who in your family do you spend the most time with?
250. If you could live in any other time period, when would it be?
251. If you could meet one star of Hollywood’s Golden Age, who would it be?
252. If you could meet one musician no longer living, who would it be?
253. If you could go to dinner with one deceased world leader, who would it be?
254. What is a fun or interesting fact about your hometown?
255. If you could meet one relative who died before you were born, who would you choose?
Getting-to-Know-You Questions for Company Meetings
256. What was your very first job?
257. What was your most unusual job?
258. What is a funny misunderstanding you had with a coworker?
259. What was the most rewarding experience of your career?
260. If you could change one thing about your past work experience, what would it be?
261. Where are you in birth order (oldest? middle? youngest?) and do you think it affects your personality?
262. How many different states have you lived in?
263. What kind of pet do you have, and how did you choose its name?
264. If you had to listen to one song for the rest of your life, what would it be?
265. What animal do you think most closely matches your personality?
266. If you could choose one age to be forever, what age would it be and why?
267. What are three items you’d take with you to a deserted island?
268. What’s your favorite famous or inspirational quote?
269. What’s your favorite sports team?
270. If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
271. What’s your favorite hobby?
272. What TV show or movie do you absolutely refuse to watch? Why?
273. What’s the farthest you’ve ever been from home?
274. Can you name one thing you’re willing to spend more money on to make sure you get the best quality?
275. Who would you most like to switch places with for a day (could be anyone – a celebrity or even an animal!)?
276. What’s the best thing that has happened to you so far this week?
277. What characteristic do you like most about yourself?
278. If you could live in any city, where would it be and why?
279. If you could change something in the world, what would it be?
280. What did you want to be when you grew up when you were in elementary school?
281. Where was your first job?
282. Do you prefer closed-door offices or open-concept layouts? Why?
283. What’s your most interesting/embarrassing office story?
284. How do you wind down after work?
285. What could you give a 30-minute presentation about with no advance preparation?
286. What’s something that has surprised you about your chosen career path?
287. What is your favorite thing to do when you’re not working?
288. What job would you be terrible at?
289. What’s a topic you wish you knew more about?
290. Do you like old-fashioned calendars or do you save all your events digitally? Why?
291. Are you more productive in the mornings, afternoons, or evenings? Why?
292. What’s the coolest or most interesting thing you’re working on right now?
293. Which career would you want if all jobs had the same salary?
294. Have you ever had to “unlearn” something in your professional life? What was it?
295. What challenging situation you had to overcome professionally, and how did you handle it?
296. How do you describe what you do to family and friends for a living?
297. What’s the project or achievement that may not have happened if you weren’t involved?
298. What’s the best piece of professional advice you’ve ever received?
299. What is your position?
300. What was your last position?
301. What was your first job?
302. Did you go to college? If yes, what college? What was your major?
303. Do you work better in the morning or at night?
304. Do you prefer working remotely or in the office?
305. Do you prefer group work or solo work?
306. Emails, texts, or phone calls?
307. How do you take your coffee?
308. What is your funniest work story to date?
309. What was the biggest mistake you ever made at work?
310. What was the hardest lesson you learned so far?
311. What’s the best team you have worked with?
312. Who’s the best manager you have worked for?
313. What is the best team outing you have ever attended?
314. What is your dream role?
315. Who’s the most interesting coworker you have worked with?
316. What is your all-time favorite project?
317. If money were no issue, what would you do with your time?
318. If you did not work in this industry, what field would you pursue?
319. How many cups of coffee do you drink per day?
320. What time do you wake up on the weekends?
321. What is your favorite leisure activity on vacation?
322. Who’s your dream boss?
323. Who’s your nightmare boss?
324. If you lived 500 years ago, what do you think your profession would be?
325. If you lived 500 years in the future, what do you think your profession would be?
326. What do you hope your coworkers say about you at your retirement party?
327. If money were no object, how would you spend your time?
328. Why did you pick this profession?
329. What motivates you?
330. What inspires you?
331. What scares you, professionally speaking?
332. What is your dream project?
333. What career advice would you give to your younger self?
334. How do you deal with work stress?
335. If you could ban one question from the interview process forever, which one do you choose?
336. If you were to start your own business, what kind of company would you create?
337. Would you rather win the lottery or work at the perfect job? Why?
338. What’s your favorite way to spend a day off?